Back to the blogs list

Electrical Regulations for Residential Tenancies

Electrical Regulations for Residential Tenancies

As of July 1st, 2020, new regulations are coming into place regarding electrical safety. Landlords must commit to making the continuous effort to ensure their property follows the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations.

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
The EICR is a formal document that is produced after an assessment of the electrical installation of the property. The assessment must be carried out by a qualified electrician or contractor. A qualified person is defined as “a person competent to undertake the inspection and testing required under regulation 3(1) and any further investigative or remedial work in accordance with the electrical safety standards.”

When does the assessment need to take place?
Any tenancy created or renewed after the 1st of July 2020 will require an EICR to be produced. For pre-existing tenancies, an EICR will be required before the 1st of April 2021.
For long leases ( 7 years or more) or lodgers, EICRs is not required.

  • All tenants must receive a copy before they start renting the property.
  • When the report is replaced, a new copy must be provided.
  • When an EICR is requested by local authorities, it must be provided within 7 days to prevent any penalties.
  • The standard EICR will last 5 years however this often varies depending on each report.
  • If your property does not comply with the Electrical Safety Regulations, then qualified personnel must start performing the work necessary within 28 days. This time span may be shorter depending on the work that needs to be done and how safe the property is for residents.

What penalties can you face for not following regulations?
Local authorities can provide fines of up to £30,000 per breach of the regulations.
If the local authorities have the tenants’ permission to carry out the work necessary to ensure the property is following regulation, then they have the right to. Any costs which occur will be the responsibility of the landlord.

Can I carry out checks on appliances myself as the landlord?
Landlords can carry out checks on appliances where it is obvious to determine their condition. However, for more complex appliances that require the experience of a professional, then an electrical should be contacted.
When carrying out visual inspections, landlords can lookout for the following:

  • Fraying or cut leads
  • Damaged plugs (bent pins)
  • Visible vires
  • Equipment is stored in damp and wet conditions
  • Loose parts

Get in touch with Kronos Estate Agents today to get more advice on electrical safety regulations and to find out more about the services we provide. You can call us on 020 8004 4477 or email us at


For a free Appraisal

How Much Is Your Home Worth ?